Pastéis de Nata is a Portuguese custard tart pastry normally made with egg that has been brushed with cinnamon and infused with saffron. These desserts can be found in Portugal as well as other regions of Western Europe, in Asia and in the former Portuguese colonies of Brazil and Macao.
- 1 block silken tofu
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of saffron
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or vitamix blender and blend until creamy.
- Using a cupcake tin, take circular shapes of puff pastry and press into each depression.
- Pour in the creamy mixture.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove when pastry becomes a crisp, golden brown.